Video blogging is something I have been thinking about doing for years, but I was just scared to start. After watching hours of various well produced video blogs on YouTube, I went from thinking about it to actually doing it. I am still a newbie to the realm of online video, but I am enjoying it more and more as I make more videos. Here are the top ten things I have learned since starting to vlog
- I am crazy picky about video quality
- Video cameras are expensive
- Video editing software is expensive
- Linux still makes me happy (I knew this, but it was affirmed again with free video editing software)
- Tripods make everything look better
- Do multiple takes (You can always cut stuff out later)
- Shooting in public makes me self conscious
- Jump cuts are okay
- Video codecs are a pain
- Filming anything is really all about the lighting and angle
Okay, as I was writing this about forty more things popped into my head. I have found making a somewhat decent video is a lot more work and a lot more time consuming than I had originally expected. I definitely have a lot more respect for all the YouTubers and video makers who take the time to produce great work.
Do any of you video blog? What tips do you have to share?