Writing a thesis at the graduate level is difficult. It requires determination, courage, stamina, and caffeine. Having just experienced the rigors of graduate school thesis writing, here is the survival guide as I know it.
- Coffee is your friend and its own food group
- Write, even if it is about ninjas
- Start a fitness program (This is not optional)
- Find your college librarian and hound them
- Content first. Pages count themselves so you don't have to.
- Under no circumstances eat without looking. It does not matter how into your thesis you are, you do not want to swallow a post-it note.
- Coffee cup
- Notebooks - preferably Moleskines.
- Tablet computer
- Messenger bag
- Nerf gun
The dress code for the graduate student is up for debate, but here I will present what I consider appropriate grad school survival clothes.
- Cargo pants/shorts - Good for carring snacks, headphones, books, or any other items found on your quest for the perfect thesis.
- Hoodie - The most comfortable item ever and valuable in parkour type activities such as: running to the cafeteria, picking up books from the library, and chasing down the ice cream truck.
- Good sneakers - Don't want to give away your approach when looking for your adviser. Flip flops make way too much noise.
What are your necessities for graduate school writing?